In Ramadan, our family breaks our fast with Lentil Soup. It used to be just cheap old Chicken Noodle, but since a great friend of mine gave me her Lentil Soup recipe, we haven’t gone back. I did try DedeMed’s Lentil Soup – and it was good, don’t get me wrong, but it just wasn’t “the soup” that our family likes.
So, I decided to share the recipe, with special thanks to Sarah for sharing with me in the first place!
Ramadan Lentil Soup
- 10 cups water
- 1 1/5 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1/4 cup rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- Parsley and lemon wedges for garnish
- Combine water, lentils and rice. Bring to a boil and skim off foam. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and saute onion until translucent. Add garlic and saute 1 minute more. Add to soup with spices.
- Simmer an additional hour.
- Garnish with finely chopped parsley and serve with lemon wedges.